SAT Tips

Ahnaf Chowdhury

Every year high school students throughout the states prepare for the Scholastic Aptitude Test, one of the most important exams students will ever take. More commonly known as the SAT, the timed test is administered in schools as a way to test and compare students’ academic abilities, and scores will be considered during college applications. Because of this, it is very common for students to be anxious about the exam. The assessment is broken down into four sections: reading, writing, no calculator math, and calculator math, all with different amounts of times allotted for each. There are various techniques and strategies people use during the test to boost their score, but this guide will explain the basic test preparations.

I highly advise every student to use Khan Academy, a nonprofit organization that allows students to practice academic skills in every subject and even the SAT. It is free and credibility is guaranteed with the partnership they have with the College Board, the company that administers the SAT. While studying for the SAT, stay consistent so that you can retain information effectively. You can create your own schedule for studying, but it is at least recommended to start practicing at least 2-3 months before the day of the test. You should focus on studying either the math sections or the reading and writing sections a day for 1-2 hours. Make sure to switch between the two every day or every week. Understanding your mistakes is also crucial. Always read the correct answer choice for each problem as it will help you with future questions. You also have a greater chance of boosting your score tremendously. Another way to learn is through utilizing other resources. You can also utilize other accessible resources such as YouTube videos, SAT books, and other articles as it will only help and expand your knowledge. Take practice tests that are available to you for free online. You will be more comfortable with being timed and under the pressure. It helps so you do not get stumped or worried during the testing day, and it also keeps track of your progress and how well you are studying.

The best way to tackle the SAT is through repetition. One key information that is often overlooked is that the SAT is a standardized examination, which means that you will be asked the same multiple-choice questions. If you are going to be presented with the same types of questions, then it is far easier to overcome the exam by simply answering the questions again and again. Continuous studying is the best way to prepare to answer every type of question the SAT might throw at you. 

Try not to overwork yourself too hard. You will most likely take the exam during your junior year of high school, often regarded as the toughest year for students. You will be focused on other issues such as schoolwork, extracurriculars, and your social life. Take breaks when you need to because constantly draining yourself will never help you study effectively. Do not use this as an excuse to slack off, either!

This might seem a lot to take in, but all you need to understand is to continue practicing and believing in yourself. Try not to compare yourself to other people. We all work at different paces and you only need to worry about yourself when studying for the SAT. As time goes on, you will see improvement and get that score you always dreamed of.